Author: Palys Viktoras, 1907 - 1987
Created: around 1950.
Material/technique: encaustic clay, glaze.
Dimensions: 29x25x16 cm.
Viktoras Palys (Poliakovas, 1907–1987) was the only sculptor in interwar Lithuania who developed his professional skills in working stone, particularly granite. He studied stone carving in Tartu at the Pallas School of Art, under Anton Starkopf, the Estonian classic of modern sculpture, from whom he also acquired Neo-Classical stylistics. Palys produced works on various themes, but he liked best to portray sitting female nudes. In the 1930s, he chiselled them from granite, marble and wood; and after the war, when he was working at the Dailė cooperative in Kaunas, he modelled them from clay, and fired and glazed them. His postwar terracotta nudes differ from his pre-war stone and wooden ones only according to the different materials and techniques he used, while this one was made after the 1939 model preserved by the sculptor’s family until our times.
Reference: "More Than Just Beauty", compiled by G. Jankevičiūtė. Vilnius, LAWIN, 2012 P. 180.
Exhibitions: “More Than Just Beauty: The Image of Woman in the LAWIN collection”, 12 October – 11 November 2012, National Gallery of Art; Vilnius.
Published: More Than Just Beauty Compiled by G. Jankevičiūtė. Vilnius, LAWIN, 2012 P. 180 Cat. No. 161.
Photographs: display in the exhibition “More Than Just Beauty: The Image of Woman in the LAWIN collection”, 12 October – 11 November 2012, National Gallery of Art.