Pranciškus Nemirovskis

Nemiròvskis Pranciškus (Pol. Franciszek Nemierowski, Niemierowski), Nameròvskis, Niemiròvskis 24/12/1734 (?) – 23/4/1795, Krosna (buried in Miroslaw), a Lithuanian painter and sculptor. Already a painter, he joined Marians of the Immaculate Conception in Puszcza Korabiewska in 1767, and took a friar’s vows a year later. Later on, he moved to live at a Marian monastery in Miroslaw. He was a decorator of Marian and Conventual Franciscan monasteries and churches. In 1773–1780, he painted the walls of the Franciscan Church of the Assumption of St Virgin Mary in Vilnius with scenes showing the life of St Francis of Assisi and 14 Franciscan friars in the style of rococo. By attribution, Nemirovskis is considered to be the author of the portraits of Stanislaus Papczyński the Blessed and the Countess Pranciška Ščiukaitė-Butlerienė in the Marian monastery in Marijampolė (late 1850s?). Nemirovskis’ work of art that has not survived to this day includes the wooden polychrome statue of St Virgin Mary made for the great altar of the Marian church of St Michael in Marijampolė, the fresco St Virgin Mary’s Visit to Elisabeth in a chapel in Marijampolė (destroyed in 1960), the paintings in the Church of St John the Baptist in Alšėnai and in the quarters of the Bishop Towiański at the Franciscan monastery in Vilnius (Gražina Marija Martinaitienė).

Reference: https://www.vle.lt/Straipsnis/Pranciskus-Nemirovskis-118208.


A painter, sculptor, and Marian friar. A decorator of Marian, Reformed Franciscan and Conventual Franciscan monasteries and churches. Between 1773 and 1780, he painted rococo scenes depicting the life of St Francis of Assisi on the dome of the great nave and scenes from the life of 14 Franciscan monks on the lunettes of the Franciscan Church of the Assumption of St Virgin Mary in Vilnius. He used the grisaille technique to paint rococo ornaments and cartouches. By attribution, Nemirovskis is considered to be the author of the portraits of Stanislaus Papczyński the Blessed and the Countess Pranciška Ščiukaitė-Butlerienė in the Marian monastery in Marijampolė. He was the author of the statue of St Virgin Mary for the great altar of the Marian church of St Michael in Marijampolė (it has not survived), the fresco St Virgin Mary’s Visit to Elisabeth in the former chapel of the Marijampolė church (destroyed in 1960), the paintings in the Church of St John the Baptist in Alšėnai and in the quarters of the Bishop Towiański at the Franciscan monastery in Vilnius (none of these works of art have survived). He also did a series of portraits for the Krasny manor on order, but got ill and died before he could finish it.