Author: N / A
Created: mid-19th century.
Material / technique: oil on canvas.
Dimensions: 142x93 cm.
Our Lady of the Rosary is a depiction of the Blessed Virgin Mary according to the apparition of St Dominic (1170–1221) where he saw the Virgin Mary and received some beads from her. The preacher called it the crown of roses and subsequently spread the Rosary. During his travels and sermons, he preached the magic power of the Rosary, because it was allegedly the path to God. The cult of Our Lady of the Rosary has an important place in monastic tradition.
In Rome, Our Lady appeared to St Dominic during his sleep and said, ‘Dear Son, do not press people because of their sins, I have two men who will order the world and make it repent.’ She pointed at St Dominic and St Francis. In the morning, St Dominic found St Francis praying in church, recognised him and kissed him. This was the start of their great friendship. They told to their sons to love each other. That is why Dominican monks and Cistercians are friends.
/.../ St Dominic who wished to attract people’s hearts towards the love of God and the worship of Our Lady preached the Rosary. That is he put together the sacred mysteries in a crown and ordered the Rosary to be recited in churches every day. For those who could not read and for older people, he put together a prayer on a string of knots, so that they could pray. (Motiejus Valančius, , „Gyvenimas Švenčiausios Marijos Panos“, Raštai 2, p. 89–93)
Reference: "The Lithuanian art collection of Jaunius Gumbis". Museum and Collector - 6. Vilnius: National Museum of Lithuania, 2016, P. 136.
Exhibition: Exhibition of the collection of Lithuanian art of dr. Jaunius Gumbis "Collected and Preserved", September 2016 - January 2017, National Museum of Lithuania, Vilnius.
Published: "The Lithuanian art collection of Jaunius Gumbis". Museum and Collector - 6. Vilnius: National Museum of Lithuania, 2016, P. 137.
Photographs: display in the exhibition "Collected and Preserved", September 2016 - January 2017, National Museum of Lithuania, Vilnius.